The holidays can bring joy to all but they also bring additional risk to your home’s safety. We tracked the top five home insurance claims from the holiday season over the past three years and the results haven’t changed a bit. Now we’re sharing the most common causes of holiday danger and how you can prevent them for a safer holiday season.
- Make sure only the turkey gets fried: Christmas trees, turkey fryers, candles, fireplaces, electrical heaters and even wrapping paper can turn homes from festive to up-in-flames. Unplug lights, turn off ovens and heaters, never leave a lit candle unattended, and fry that turkey outdoors at a safe distance from the house or garage.
- May the only flood at your home be that of memories: While homeowners travel to see friends and family, cold temperatures back home can cause pipes to freeze and burst. Keep the thermostat set at 55 degrees to help prevent this from happening.
- Keep outdoor décor grounded: While it might be the ideal time of year to see if reindeer really can fly, no homeowner would welcome the lawn version flying through a window or door. Firmly secure all outdoor holiday décor and lights with hooks and lawn decorations with tethers.
- Channel your inner Kevin McCallister (Home Alone): Thieves are busy during the holidays scouting out homes where lights are off, mailboxes are full and empty, and fancy and expensive gift boxes are left curbside. Strategically leave lights on or set lights on timers, stop your mail delivery, and save those gift boxes to recycle upon your return.
- Save the ice-skating for the rink: Slick driveways and stairs can be slip-and-trip hazards for holiday guests and may result in liability and bodily injury claims. Keep these surfaces and entryways well shoveled and salted.
While the number of claims may change each year, the top five hazards are consistently water damage, fire, wind, theft, and liability/bodily injury. Our goal is to help homeowners and renters learn about these dangers, and how to avoid them, this holiday season.
Click here to find a local agent today.